Planning commission paves way for FCC’s mixed-use development in the West End
The video above is from FOX19 NOW’s previous coverage.
CINCINNATI (WXIX) - Cincinnati Planning Commissioners unanimously approved the final proposal for FC Cincinnati’s $332 million mixed-use development on Friday.
The development is expected to improve the West End’s economy and quality of life, and bring jobs and businesses back to the neighborhood -- a community that once thrived, according to several residents.
Nick Johnson, a lifelong resident, was excited to hear about FC Cincinnati’s plans to make his neighborhood vibrant again.
“To where we’re at now, it’s truly unacceptable. We had no investment in the community for two decades,” Johnson told the commission.
“I wanna see our community get back to the good old days,” he continued. “We shouldn’t be a community that’s so historic, but so underfunded.”
Keith Blake lived in the West End from 1989 up until the middle of this year.
Still serving as a member on the West End Community Council, Blake says FC Cincinnati has provided support for all residents, especially kids in the area.
“You couldn’t ask for a better neighbor. When bad things happen, everyone likes to say FCC is the boogie man,” he said. “They’ve been very supportive of the West End.”
No one spoke out against the final proposal during the commissioners’ meeting, but some residents have expressed concerns with the height of the buildings and roadway access.
Nevertheless, the plans gained the approval of the West End Community Council and the City Planning Commission.
Commissioners unanimously approve the planned development Friday morning. Several West End residents and active members of the community spoke in support of the project. No one objected.
— Mary Callaway (@lebus_mary) November 21, 2025
The final proposal
The final proposal for the mixed-use development will be smaller than the concept approved in 2023.
In total, the project will be 5.986 acres big, featuring two 13-story buildings, parking, green and open spaces, an underground entertainment venue, restaurants and retail stores.
Here’s what the two buildings will include:
- Tower 1:
- 167 rental apartments
- Office space
- Commercial and retail space
- Food and beverage establishments
- 138-space parking garage
- Tower 2:
- A full-service 182-room hotel
- Five for-sale condominiums on the top floor
- Commercial and retail space
- Food and beverage establishments
- Underground entertainment venue





The entertainment venue located below the hotel will hold 11,000 to 12,000 people, FC Cincinnati’s Chief Revenue Officer Chad Munitz says, and is anticipated to bring in 200 to 250 events each year.
Additionally, the development will have a public surface parking lot with 59 spaces. More parking spots may be added later on.
Munitz said that FC Cincinnati will continue to communicate with and seek approval from West End residents.
A timeline for when construction will begin is not yet known due to the “bizarre economic times,” however, Munitz said they are itching to start as early as Spring 2026.
Housing Impact
Nearly 100 families in the West End will soon have to move out of their homes to make way for improvements to the properties.
But the city and the Cincinnati Housing Metropolitan Housing Authority (CMHA) say it is only temporary.
Standing in the shadow of TQL Stadium, the City West Development has hundreds of homes spread out over a six-block area.
The city says the previous owner could no longer afford the property and walked away from it last year.
“They left it in a state of both financial and physical distress and on the financial side, it was losing money and was in default of four million dollars in debt,” explained Assistant City Manager Billy Weber.
CMHA says those who do live in this area will have a better place to live after the renovations are complete.
CMHA took control of the property from the private owner and has decided to sell off 105 units of the 686 in City West to pay off the current debt on the property and to reinvest the money to pay for renovations.
That decision has some residents scared about what might happen next.
Judith Jones lives on David Street and says no one around here wants to be forced out of their home.
“I’m fighting for it because there’s elderly, senior citizens that live on this block and I’m fighting for the people, not just for me,” Jones said.
CMHA calls this the repositioning of City West, but affordable housing advocate Brian Gary says they should be the ones who make that decision.
“Neighborhoods should be able to determine their future,” Gary said. “I don’t think that big developers should determine our city, to plan our city.”
CMHA says the city and the housing authority do not want anyone displaced and are making a promise to the residents.
In total, the Housing Authority says it would need to relocate 93 families who live in this area until the $200 million renovation project is done.
CMHA says it will work with each household to find a new, temporary place to live.
See a spelling or grammar error in our story? Please click here to report it.
Do you have a photo or video of a breaking news story? Send it to us here with a brief description.
Copyright 2025 WXIX. All rights reserved.















