Mass shooting suspect held on $1M bond
One dead, four injured in Charles Young Park shooting Saturday evening.

LEXINGTON, Ky. (WKYT) - UPDATE 8/17: A not-guilty plea was entered for Jametrius Griffin during his arraignment Monday afternoon.
He’s being held on a one million dollar bond. His next preliminary hearing is scheduled for September 2nd.
Griffin’s attorney Daniel Whitley said his client had to be treated for injuries after the shooting, but didn’t say whether Griffin was injured during the shooting itself.
Lexington Police reiterated to WKYT that Griffin did not turn himself in, but they didn’t elaborate on the arrest.
UPDATE 8/16: Lexington Police have arrested 18-year-old Jametrius M. Griffin, in relation to the homicide and shootings which occurred in Charles Young Park on Saturday. Griffin is currently being held at the Fayette County Detention Center.
He has been charged with murder, assault and tampering with physical evidence.

Di’Zhon Robertson, 16, was killed in the shooting. Robertson was a student at the Success Academy, previously attending Bryan Station High School.
According to an arrest citation, the injured victims include a 4-year-old, 14-year-old, 39-year-old and 41-year-old.
Griffin is scheduled to appear in court for an arraignment hearing on Monday. Aug. 17, at 1 p.m.
ORIGINAL: Lexington Mayor Linda Gorton is delivering an update on Saturday night’s mass shooting in Charles Young Park. Joined by Lexington Police Chief Lawrence Weathers and Director of One Lexington Devine Carama, who was at the park at the time of the shooting.
People who were at the park at the time of the shooting will be able to get support at the Dunbar Community Center on Monday from 2: p.m. to 3:30 p.m. and 5:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.
PREVIOUS (8/16/2026 at 2:15p.m.): The Fayette County Coroner’s Office has identified the one person killed in Saturday’s mass shooting as 16-year-old Di’Zhon Robertson.
“Unacceptable,” said Carama. “I was present in the park; I’ve seen my brothers helping those who were shot... It’s not about politics; this is about humanity, and it’s about our neighbors.”
Robertson was a student at Success Academy and was previously enrolled in Bryan Station High School. A statement from Fayette County Public Schools said that they were sad to learn of his tragic passing.
“During this time, our focus is on surrounding our students, staff and community with care and support as we process this tragic loss together,” read an FCPS statement.
The district said that mental specialists, school counselors, and support teams will be available to provide counseling and emotional support for any students who need assistance.

Chief Weathers was able to confirm that this was the first homicide since the February 5 shooting that killed 17-year-old Jonathan Hunt. With last night’s shooting, it breaks a 192-day streak that ONE Lexington had been tracking of days without a homicide.
What we know
Police said officers responded to the scene at approximately 6:48 p.m. Five victims were located and transported to a local hospital. Four victims sustained non-life-threatening injuries. Robertson was declared deceased at the hospital.
Police said the investigation is active and no further details are available. Detectives are asking anyone with information to call Lexington Police at (859) 258-3600.
Anonymous tips can be submitted to Bluegrass Crime Stoppers by calling (859) 253-2020 or online at www.bluegrasscrimestoppers.com .
Copyright 2026 WKYT. All rights reserved.
















